We went to the East Twenty Bar & Kitchen within the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park for the Urban Feast laid on using fresh locally sourced seasonal produce by Abbey Garden producers.
Abbey Gardens are a community gardening project located near Abbey Road, and the site contains the ruins of a 12th Century Cistercian Abbey.
The view from the upper terrace of East Twenty is beautiful at night taking in the Arcelor Mittal Orbit, coloured dancing fountains, the Olympic Track stadium, and the deep blue hue from the Aquatics Centre.
We enjoyed botanical cocktails of Sweet Basil Meadow with Butler’s Gin made in Hackney, and a Bramley Apple Pie.
We enjoyed a variety of vibrant salads with edible flowers made with produce from the Abbey Garden plots including beetroot, figs and juicy vine ripened cherry tomatoes and stuffed courgette flowers with herb cream cheese for starters.
Mains included a flavourful Coq au Vin and a fishcake with hollandaise sauce.
To cleanse the palate we tucked into a wonderful array of cheeses from Howard & Alexandra, owners of The Urban Cheese Maker (Artisan Cheese from London), based in Tottenham. These were accompanied by a bespoke quince jelly made for them using Simon’s (Head Chef at East Twenty) damsons from his garden – a dark treacle black quince jelly cubes which had a tartness from the damsons complemented by the sweetness from the quince.
They wrapped up the evening with a dessert of Pear and Apple Crumble with custard – it had a great crunchy texture from the oats in the mix and was topped with a light, buttery shortbread crust. Unfortunately, no photo of this as we were busy chatting to Leanna (from Abbey Gardens project) and Matt, and ate it before realising. Just have to take our word for it!
The dessert was accompanied with light Panama coffee from Union Hand-Roasted Coffee, which had a tropical fruits and pomegranate notes. Matt, from Union Roasted Coffee, explained that the beans are from Los Lajones and that they used a honey caturra process to create this unique type of coffee. A good pairing with the dessert – I recommend avoiding adding sugar and milk to ensure you can enjoy the full flavour profile of this light coffee.
Abbey Gardens have a Pumpkin Fest on this Saturday 27th September, 2014 from 1pm-4pm. Go and support them!
London. E15 3NF.
East Twenty Bar & Kitchen:
Arcelor Mittal Orbit:
The Micro Dairy
18 Frontier Works
33 Queen Street
London. N17 8JA
The full menu from the evening, if you are interested, was:
• Bitter mizuna with organic new potatoes tossed in extra virgin olive oil and chili dressing
• Roasted baby beets and fig salad with blackberry and balsamic dressing
• Marrow with peas and basil in lemon oil
• Peppery wild rocket salad with shavings of hard cheese, vine-grown cherry tomatoes
• Stuffed courgette flowers with wild herbs and Wilde’s Londonshire creamy cheese, dipped in a light batter and deep fried
• Nasturtium and watercress micro-herb salad with pomegranate, cucumber, spring onion and vine tomatoes
• Coq au vin with British wine and free-range chicken
• Fishcakes made with sustainable salmon and haddock
• Pear and blackberry crumble with custard
More information about the evening: